The Mosel Wine

Moselwein-Flaschen

Let's start with a few facts about Mosel wine. Some decades ago almost exclusively white wine was cultivated on the Moselle. Today, the picture has changed a bit, but the white wine is still very significant with a share of about 90%.

Although the proportion of red wine has increased significantly in recent years and most winemakers offer Dornfelder or Pinot Noir red wines, but one can say that the wine is characterized by white wines mainly on the Mosel. 

 

 

Moselwein77FAEIx5u5TCJ

The most important grape variety for the Moselle is the Riesling. According to the wine statistics 2016/2017, the acreage of the Riesling occupies 5,387 hectares of the 8,812 existing hectares.

This is enormous and also historically conditioned, since the Riesling for the Moselle has been the most important grape variety for countless years. Favored by soils and climate, the Riesling thrives optimally and is in demand especially well-developed worldwide.

The popularity of the Riesling is expected to continue in the future. The wine of the Riesling grape is characterized by a fine acidity and a great fruit. Both dry, semi-dry and sweet, the Riesling is very popular. Second in the statistics comes the Muller-Thurgau with 1,056 ha and then Elbling with 506 ha - all white grape varieties.

 


Moselwein-RotlingOverall, a total of 1,256,436 hl of wine was produced on the Mosel in 2015. 686,000 hl of which are categorized as quality wine, of which about 90% are white wines. The remaining 10% are spread over red wine and rosé.

In addition, the Moselle wine is classified more precisely by taste. A good two thirds of the quality wines are called semi-sweet or sweet. The second largest share is in the category dry and the smallest part is semidry or off-dry. To illustrate the taste a bit more figuratively, one can say that the Mosel region is generally known for fruity wines. In addition, these usually have a rather low alcohol level compared to southern wines.

With regard to the balance between acidity and sweetness, the wines of the Moselle are considered harmonious and with good extracts. Above all, the combination of residual sweetness and fruity acidity distinguishes the Mosel wine and especially the Riesling as an ideal companion to any meal.